Your Trusted Crossbite Treatment in Saint Peters, MO
Correcting a crossbite transforms your life by providing health, comfort and an aligned smile. As Missouri's top-rated dental company, Unger Orthodontics corrects teeth and jaw placement for kids and adults through various methods to suit your wants and needs. Feel confident choosing a treatment option after learning about crossbite causes and symptoms.
What Causes a Crossbite?
Crossbite malocclusion is when your teeth don't come together in the correct position, such as your top teeth resting behind your bottom teeth when you close your mouth or bite. A singular tooth, multiple teeth or a whole jawbone could have a crossbite. It happens for various reasons:
- Thumb sucking
- Extended use of a pacifier
- Delayed loss of baby teeth
- Fast growth of adult teeth
- Abnormal swallowing
- Tooth position
- Jaw position
- Oversized tonsils
When teeth align correctly, wider upper teeth lay outside the bottom teeth. Crossbite is the opposite of this. There are two main types, including anterior crossbite, when an upper tooth or teeth rest within the lower jaw, and posterior crossbite, when a bottom tooth or teeth rest inside the upper jaw.
Either of these types can cause symptoms like:
- Jaw pain
- Teeth grinding
- Chronic headaches
- Periodontal disease
- Trouble chewing, biting or closing your mouth
Why Correct a Crossbite?
Receiving crossbite correction sooner rather than later provides many benefits:
- Teeth protection: Have healthier gums and increased teeth longevity.
- Pain relief: Provide comfort to jaws by easing pressure.
- Maintained structure: Keep jawbones in their optimal place.
- Preserved enamel: Protect the outer layer of your teeth.
- Soothed joints: Ease your face, head, neck and shoulders.
- Comfortable brain function: Maintain your ease of thinking.
- Regular breathing: Keep your airways open.
- Clear speech: Articulate normally without awkward teeth alignment impeding speech.
Crossbite Correction Treatment Options
Methods for crossbite correction depend on the patient's age and the uniqueness of each situation. Solutions for children often involve broadening the upper teeth or jaw. Adult methods often use temporary or removable devices for convenience. Here are some crossbite treatment options:
- Braces or Invisalign treatments: Crossbite braces provide a lasting solution with correctly adjusted teeth and jaw placements. Later, your orthodontist may offer a retainer for maintaining your alignment.
- Removable expander: These devices can be removed from the mouth like a retainer. Adults generally wear these every night until the crossbite resolves.
- Maxillary expander: This method works best on growing kids by attaching a fixed device behind upper teeth. The process gradually widens the upper palate and allows room for teeth growth.
- Surgery: Although rare, the best solution sometimes involves jaw surgery. Adjusting the upper jawbones by moving them forward or backward provides symmetrical alignment.
Why Choose Us?
Unger Orthodontics leads as the best dental practice in Saint Peters, Missouri. Top-rated services provide you with a healthy smile for life. Our clients give us excellent reviews because of our:
- Invisalign partnership
- Diamond or Diamond + level providers
- Outstanding user experience
- Premier care
- Quality treatment
Request Your Appointment Today
Unger Orthodontics provides effective crossbite solutions and proudly transforms smiles in Saint Peters and surrounding MO areas. Get started by making an appointment.
Call us or fill out our contact form today. We look forward to hearing from you!
REQUEST YOUR FREE EXAM
We look forward to helping you keep a beautiful smile for life!