Underbite Correction in Saint Peters and Perryville
The Unger Orthodontics team provides underbite treatment at our offices in Saint Peters and Perryville, Missouri. Our orthodontics experts use surgery-free methods to ease patients' jaws into a more desirable position for greater comfort and confidence in every smile. We invite you to request an appointment with Dr. James Unger today!
What Causes an Underbite?
An underbite describes when the top teeth protrude beyond the front teeth. The resulting overlap causes various problems, but underbites can occur for several reasons:
- Genetics: A patient may inherit traits that make them more likely to form an underbite.
- Habits: A child's habits — like thumb sucking, prolonged bottle or pacifier use, improper chewing and resting the tongue against the front of the mouth — can cause force that affects jaw development.
- Injuries: Jawbone alterations from severe trauma can be challenging to repair, so the jaws may not correctly align after healing.
A slight difference in your jaws' alignment can have a ripple effect over time. Overbites cause pressure and friction that can lead to symptoms like:
- Jaw pain
- Gum disease
- Tooth decay
- Speech impediments
- Difficulty chewing
Why Correct an Underbite?
Of all the forms of misalignment, an underbite is one that most often requires medical intervention. Forgoing underbite treatment allows symptoms to worsen. An initially minor complication can escalate into something more serious. Without treatment, your pain, difficulty chewing, potential speech impediments and oral hygiene can become less manageable. Treating your underbite will put you on the path toward true relief while helping you feel more confident about your smile.
Underbite Treatment Options
At Unger Orthodontics, we use the most effective non-surgical techniques and technology to treat our Saint Peters and Perryville patients' underbites. Our staff will help you understand your situation and the treatment options available to resolve it. Our underbite treatments include:
- Braces: Our traditional or clear ceramic braces use brackets, bands and archwires to shift the jaw into a new position that reduces underbite.
- Aligners: Invisalign® produces clear, removable aligner trays as an inconspicuous treatment option for minor underbites.
- Expanders: An expander rests on the roof of your mouth and applies constant outward pressure on the upper jaw to widen it.
- Retainers: We'll provide a retainer after your primary treatment to ensure your jaw stays in its new position.
Why Unger Orthodontics?
Unger Orthodontics has a history of excellence in the St. Louis area, making us one of the region's most dependable sources for underbite correction. From our friendly hygienists to our welcoming office administrators to our expert orthodontist, our current staff continues a legacy of more than 40 years of premier orthodontic service. You can count on us to provide an inviting patient experience and excellent care that leads to the results you want to see.
Request an Appointment
With two offices conveniently located in Saint Peters and Perryville, Missouri, it's always easy to fit a visit with us into your schedule. We invite you to contact us online to request an appointment or learn more about our underbite treatments.
REQUEST YOUR FREE EXAM
We look forward to helping you keep a beautiful smile for life!