What is an overjet?
An overjet describes when front teeth extend outward and sit over the bottom teeth. The teeth position themselves at an angle. When this happens, a horizontal difference occurs. For example, when you close your mouth, it’s normal to have 2 millimeters of spacing between the upper and lower teeth. An overjet alignment provides a larger spacing amount. A visual difference appears whether teeth contain a mild, moderate or strong overjet alignment.
There are many causes of overjets:
- Thumb sucking
- Tongue movement around front teeth
- Prolonged bottle or pacifier use
- Overcrowded teeth
- Late growth of adult teeth
Various factors like jaw position and shape and size and position of teeth provide unique characteristics for every person. Although overbites and overjets are similar, knowing the symptoms of an overjet helps you determine if you have an overbite instead. Overjets occur when teeth appear angled with a horizontal misalignment, while overbites occur when teeth appear straight downward with a vertical misalignment.
The two issues require different treatments. To help you better recognize overjet, here are some of the symptoms:
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder
- Pain and difficulty when biting and chewing
- Jaw or tooth pain
- Teeth grinding
- Worn-down teeth
Why fix an overjet?
Overjet correction provides many benefits for adults and children alike, such as facilitating regular chewing and swallowing, lessening jaw pain, worn teeth and teeth grinding, providing comfortable jaw movement and preserving optimal alignment. The numerous advantages of fixing an overjet apply to more than just functionality — you can feel more confident with a corrected smile and enjoy a higher quality of life.
Customized treatments for overjet teeth
Various treatments are available for overjet teeth. Each solution customizes a plan for perfecting your teeth alignment. Options include:
- Braces: This corrective method typically takes around 18 to 24 months. Braces slowly adjust your teeth into an ideal alignment. Clear Invisalign® aligners provide a less noticeable look than traditional metal, remaining a common choice for overjet correction without extraction.
- Veneers: Porcelain pieces applied to the front of your teeth blend in with your natural teeth and can last for more than a decade.
- Dental bonding: Altering the size and shape of your teeth provides a low-maintenance and long-lasting solution for overjet. A composite resin provides the same strength as your normal teeth.
- Crowns: Align your teeth effectively with custom prosthetics. Crowns cover the surface of your tooth and can last for up to 15 years.
- Tooth extraction: Removing maxillary first premolars aligns teeth into a better placement.
Why choose us?
Enjoy the highest level of expertise with decades of experience when you choose our overjet services. Unger Orthodontics remains a top-rated orthodontist in Saint Peters, MO, due to our dedication and care. We offer:
- Premier care
- Outstanding user experience
- Quality treatment
- Invisalign® partnership
- Excellent reviews
- Diamond or Diamond + level Invisalign® providers
Schedule your appointment today
Trust the best overjet treatments in Missouri from Unger Orthodontics. We provide high-quality services for healthier and happier smiles. Make an appointment to see our dental experts in Saint Peters, MO, to get started.
Call us today or fill out our contact form to start the journey toward better oral health.